Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Needing help with my setupÂ…

IÂ’ve been getting more serious into backpacking with my hammock, but I am having serious issues with getting comfortable. Here is my current set-up & issuesÂ…

- DW Chameleon SL 1.6
    - 20* HG Incubator
    - 5’10” 240 wide shoulders
    - head left, feet right lay

This set up has been really finicky for me. I seem to get really bad calf ridge with the incubator. IÂ’ve watched all of the videos on calf ridge and UQ adjustments and canÂ’t seem to get a consistent good flat lay with out the calf ridge unless IÂ’m using constant pressure pushing out the foot end and head end with my body. When the underquilt isnÂ’t attached, I donÂ’t have nearly the issue.

I have adjusted every part of the suspension of the incubator from completely loose to tightening up the head end and foot end asymmetrically. Completely loose is fine on my rear, but moves around too much on my shoulders and feet. Tightening up the left side head end, and right side foot end helps keep the quilt in place, but the calf ridge pops up right away and compresses my feet too much.

Not sure if the SL 1.6 is too “stretchy” and need to upgrade to a double layer, or if the incubator is too “narrow” and I need to look at getting a wider UQ. All input is greatly appreciated!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    You might want to study one of Shug’s videos on reduction of calf ridge pressure or CRP
    Maybe a 12x6 gathered end hammock will work for you. Or you could split the difference and get a gathered end hammock 138 inches long by 66 inches wide.

Get a wide under quilt, less cold spots for more coverage. And the primary suspension of under quilt will be less in your way. The under quilt suspension that you have now, might be adding to your discomfort.

I have both a 12x6 and an eleven and half foot hammocks. Both are wide 68 to 72 inches wide.
    They are comfortable for me. But oversized hammocks are not for everybody. They can make backpacking more of a challenge…bigger hammock bigger tarp bigger pack
    Now I need a Sherpa Guide

CRP Happens
    Good Luck

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Maybe you can go to a group hang. Ask hammock campers if you can stretch out in their hammocks. You might find a different brand hammock that is 11x5 that you find comfortable.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m not aware of any hangs in my neck of the woods of Kansas ��. Longer/wider hammocks are most beneficial for taller individuals aren’t they?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Hmmm, that's a new one. Once I get the calf ridge under control, I don't recall after attaching the UQ causes the calf ridge to come back. Maybe the primary suspension for the UQ is too short? When the hammock is empty with the UQ attached, it should lift the hammock up somewhat. Shug goes into detail about that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrGfSgt1w2E

Typically, my issues with the Incubator are closing the foot end gaps to keep out drafts with a symmetrical bug net and switching head left/head right throughout the night. I'm a little bit taller and heavier than you and find the Hexon 1.6 pretty comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Hmmm, that's a new one. Once I get the calf ridge under control, I don't recall after attaching the UQ causes the calf ridge to come back. Maybe the primary suspension for the UQ is too short? When the hammock is empty with the UQ attached, it should lift the hammock up somewhat. Shug goes into detail about that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrGfSgt1w2E

Typically, my issues with the Incubator are closing the foot end gaps to keep out drafts with a symmetrical bug net and switching head left/head right throughout the night. I'm a little bit taller and heavier than you and find the Hexon 1.6 pretty comfy.
    One thing IÂ’ve noticed is if I loosen up the secondary suspension, IÂ’d doesnÂ’t move the UQ at all. The cordage just hangs there loose. The secondary suspension came knotted on the s-biner on both ends. Is that how it is suppose to be?

Also, do you find the contoured foot end to cause any issues with the lay compared to other UQÂ’s that arenÂ’t?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Possible that the 1.6 single may be too stretchy for your size and weight. There is a learning curve for all this for sure.
    I'll offer this for perusal.
    The primary suspension should lift your hammock up.
    The secondary stretches it out.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Possible that the 1.6 single may be too stretchy for your size and weight. There is a learning curve for all this for sure.
    I'll offer this for perusal.
    The primary suspension should lift your hammock up.
    The secondary stretches it out.
    Shug

Thanks Shug! Love the content and help you provide to all of us newbies! My step-son is a huge fan as well. Your comedy is a big reason why he has interest in hammock camping!!! I now have a hobby I can share with him. So, thank you!

My next step was to work ok adjusting my ridge line/sag. Should I start with trying to get more sag or less?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid deer View Post
    Thanks Shug! Love the content and help you provide to all of us newbies! My step-son is a huge fan as well. Your comedy is a big reason why he has interest in hammock camping!!! I now have a hobby I can share with him. So, thank you!

My next step was to work ok adjusting my ridge line/sag. Should I start with trying to get more sag or less?
    That takes trial and error to see what feels good to you.
    Thus...the learning curve.
    Be patient and it will all pay off.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    I went to a stiff double layer to get comfortable in a gathered end. And wide. You could also try a bridge like the ridge runner, which I find to be a nice compromise. But they have their imperfections too. The best thing Ive found to make my hammocks more comfortable is to spend a few nights on the ground in a tent. That chameleon will feel like heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast